In The Vicinity
The breathtakingly beautiful KZN Midlands is abounding with things to do.
The infamous Midlands Meander, running from Mooi River to Pietermaritzburg, comprises a wonderful arts and crafts route passing through quaint, historical farming towns, showcasing many art galleries and boutique stores with local handmade products.
There are many great hiking and horse riding trails in the area, not to mention warm coffee shops, nature reserves , golfing and great picnic spots.
Mooi River Village is just 8km away and consists of a Supermarket, Doctor, Pharmacy, Banks and a Petrol Station.
Its rivers, lakes and waterfalls are known for great bass and trout fishing in the well-stocked rivers and dams.
Some must-do activities and attractions include:
- Midlands Meander, Mooi River to Hilton
- Fordoun Health Spa (20 minutes by car)
- Indigo Fields Day Spa (40 minutes by car)
- Boschhoek Golf Course (30 minutes by car)
- Shooting in the winter months for licenced individuals
- Introduction to breeding thoroughbred horses
- Mooi River Country Club and Golf Course (8km away)
- Karkloof Treetop Canopy Tours, Curries Post
- Fort Nottingham Museum, Nottingham Road
- Zulu Waters Private Game Reserve (40 minutes by car)
- Weenen Game Reserve (98 minutes by car)
- Giants Castle Mountain Reserve (45 minutes by car)
- Nelson Mandela Capture Site, Howick ( minutes ?)
- Howick Falls, Umgeni River (28 minutes by car)
- uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park, Drakensberg Mountains
- WESSA – The Wildlife and Environment Society of SA – Umgeni River Valley
- African Birds of Prey Sanctuary, Midlands
- Swissland Cheesery
- Abingdon Wine Estate, Lions River
- Butterflies for Africa, Pietermaritzburg
- Durban North Coast for a day outing (2 hours by car)
- Nice wine cellar (in Rosetta)
- Hospital (Private), Pietermaritzburg (45 minutes by car)
- Summerveld training center (1 hour by car)
- North coast (a daily trip) 2 hours by car.
A few suggested dining venues:
- Hartford House (fine dining and one of the best restaurants in SA), Mooi River (1km away)
- Lords of the Manor (a la carte),
- The Rose (a la carte), Rosetta
- Bierfassl Restaurant, Nottingham Road
Nice pubs for relax lunch :
- Cafe Blum, Nottingham road
- Blue Berry, Nottingham road